Living Well In The Panhandle

Famous Last Words: Cell Phones and Driving

Driving to work this morning, I had to swerve to miss a driver who had crossed the center line. Thankfully, I was paying attention and he got back in his lane fairly quickly, so no one was hurt. I suspect the other driver never realized that he almost had a close encounter of the dangerous …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://jackson.ifas.ufl.edu/newsletters/2017/06/30/famous-last-words-cell-phones-and-driving/

Water: Myth or Fact?

Carry water with you to sip throughout the day Summer has arrived!  During the summer months, especially along the Gulf Coast, it is hot and humid.  Keeping the body hydrated is important to maintaining good health. As the temperature rises in the summer and the body loses more water through evaporation and perspiration, it makes …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://jackson.ifas.ufl.edu/newsletters/2017/06/28/water-myth-or-fact/

Essentials of Water Safety

FL DEP Warning Flag System Summer is upon us and that means many of us will be enjoying pools, lakes, rivers, and the ocean. Florida provides many opportunities for outdoor water recreation that we should enjoy responsibly and safely. Are you prepared to handle a water emergency? Do you have water safety rules? Do you …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://jackson.ifas.ufl.edu/newsletters/2017/06/27/essentials-of-water-safety/

Food Safety Tips for the Perfect Summer Picnic

There are few things more iconic during summer than a picnic.  There’s just something fresh and fun about sharing a meal in the park or at the beach with family and friends.  But just because you’re enjoying the warm, gentle breeze doesn’t mean you should throw caution to the wind.  By following a few simple …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://jackson.ifas.ufl.edu/newsletters/2017/06/27/food-safety-tips-for-the-perfect-summer-picnic/

Milk…..What’s in it for you?

June is National Dairy Month. National Dairy month was first celebrated in 1937 to encourage Americans to drink more milk. Milk and dairy products comprise a diverse group of foods from fluid milks, fermented milk products, and over 500 cheeses. Generations of American children have grown up hearing the same parental advice, “Drink your milk…..milk …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://jackson.ifas.ufl.edu/newsletters/2017/06/12/milk-whats-in-it-for-you/

Staying Healthy At Summer Camp

Staying Healthy At Summer Camp – 7 Keys to a Healthy Camp Counselor Experience It’s getting hot outside and that means summer camps are heating up! Being a camp counselor is a fun summer job and it’s a great way to learn leadership skills. As a camp counselor, it is your job to take care …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://jackson.ifas.ufl.edu/newsletters/2017/06/11/staying-healthy-at-summer-camp/

Remember the 3 R’s! – Earth Day April 22, 2017

  Do you remember the 3 R’s?  If you are over the age of forty you are probably thinking of a classroom, a teacher, and learning about Reading, wRiting, and aRithmetic.  These are the basic standards for learning, of course.  However, it is now 2017and the 3 R’s have a new meaning to a new …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://jackson.ifas.ufl.edu/newsletters/2017/06/09/remember-the-3-rs-earth-day-april-22-2017/

Earth Day; an issue of sustainability!

  Earth Day: an issue of sustainability! Have you ever thought about Earth Day, you know, that one day a year that falls on April 22nd? Earth Day was founded in 1970 by Gaylord Nelson, a U.S. Senator from Wisconsin, and sought to focus on the environment and how we can create healthy and sustainable surroundings.  …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://jackson.ifas.ufl.edu/newsletters/2017/06/09/earth-day-an-issue-of-sustainability/

Physical Activity is for YOU, at Any Age!

It’s no secret that exercise is good for you and can improve your life in so many ways.  The idea of exercise can be daunting for some people, especially if you’ve never done it on a regular basis.  You don’t have to go to the gym and lift weights or run a half -marathon to …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://jackson.ifas.ufl.edu/newsletters/2017/06/09/physical-activity-is-for-you-at-any-age/

Simplify Your Life

Simplify your life. What an easy thing to say! Unfortunately, sometimes putting those words into action can be anything but easy. For so many of us, things just seem to accumulate until clutter becomes a way of life. In fact, most Americans only use 20% of what we own. The other 80% consists of things we don’t …

Continue reading »

Permanent link to this article: http://jackson.ifas.ufl.edu/newsletters/2017/06/08/simplify-your-life/

Older posts «